Monday, August 15, 2011

From To-Do to Ta-Da!


Nobody loves a good to-do list more than me, and with only one official week of summer left, I have an urge to organize.  Below is a list of what I hope to accomplish in the next seven days.  Each item will include photographic documentation (for entertainment purposes and because I need structure and accountability to help me follow through). I can only hope to get as much satisfaction checking items off this list as I did creating it. 


Last Week of Summer To Do List:

1.  Cherish lazy couch, coffee, and cartoon morning routine.

   
2.  Visit favorite places and linger a little longer than usual.

 




3.  Find Make time to hang out with the girls

Thank you for being a friend...
Just so you know, when I made this list last week I hoped to actually hang out with my own girlfriends.  However, that was the one item I wasn't able to check off my list.  I think the topic of girlfriend time (or lack thereof) deserves its very own blog entry, so stay tuned for that.  To satisfy this to-do list, I was able to trade actual girl time for some Golden Girl time.  Here's a fun Fifey factoid: I LOVE The Golden Girls, and one of my favorite things about summer is that I can stay up past 10:00 to catch an episode or two.  I have a hard time justifying the existence of either the Hallmark or Lifetime channels, but because they are the only ones airing my beloved Golden Girls, I'll forgive them for producing such embarrassingly sappy movies and for continuing to suck so royally. 

4.  Get house in order so that brain will follow suit.



Bleach drops on ovens and swiffers in kitchens,
Clutter-free surfaces keep me from itchin'.
Sparkling clean toilets shining like bling,
These are a few of my favorite things...  

5.  Make chalk draw, trucks vroom, trains choo-choo, tricycles race, animals talk, and create secret shrubbery clubhouses.

 


6.  Go school clothes shopping!



It's a start. 
I love you, Target.






7.  Read a book that provides an escape from reality without making me dumber for having read it.

Did you know women actually existed in the early 1800s?  And did you realize that some of them did amazing things that helped shape our country?  Yeah, me either...until I read this book.  Aside from the obligatory mention of Harriet Tubman or Eleanor Roosevelt, history textbooks tend to focus on the old white dudes, so the existence of the Peabody sisters was certainly a surprise to me. If you're a history and/or literature nerd, you'll enjoy this one. 


8.  Make a point to officially end my obsession with Eddie Vedder and his ukulele (that sounds dirty, but it really isn't) and find a new (or, more likely, new-to-me) fall music favorite to put on constant repeat.  This marks the official summer to fall transition:



9.  Create a video snapshot of what Owen is like at age two to add to my memory movie reel.



10.  Speak more than two uninterrupted sentences in a row to my husband during some head-clearing, grievance-airing, giggle-inducing, after hours porch time.

   


There you have it.  From to-do to to-DID.  Ta-Da!!!  And now I think it's time we have a little talk, Bubble...Deep, cleansing breath...I think I finally have the strength to do this:

It's been a good run, Bubble.  You were an integral part of making Summer 2011 one of the best so far, but it's over.  It's not you, it's me.  I must make the transition from romantic to realist, and there's just no place for you in my new reality. Sure, maybe we'll meet up for an occasional fling on the weekends, but our long term relationship is over.  I did love you, Bubble, but I popped your ass for a reason.  I've got important work to do, and this train is pulling out of Procrastination Station.  I'll always treasure our misty water-colored memories, but I have a kid who sings ballads about pork (see # 9), so Mama's gotta bring home the bacon. 

Thanks again, Bubble, for everything. 





1 comment:

Woods said...

I love this! Congrats on your to-DID status. Also, excellent picture choices. I found myself wishing I could "like" several.