Friday, August 5, 2011

Great Expectations


You know when you blow a really big bubble-soap bubble and as it slowly drifts to a surface, instead of popping, it lands and becomes a half bubble?  That's the status of my bubble life now.  When I look up, there's still a beautifully dreamy, swirly-colored shield protecting me, and it continues to enable me to see the outside world with a rose-colored hue. But when I look down at my feet, I see they are clearly planted on the solid ground that gravity has forced me to land on. 

I think the occurrence of a half bubble can be scientifically explained by using phrases like "surface tension" and "resistance to external force," but as the properties of the bubble aren't really my science, I'm more inclined to metaphorically apply those terms to my own life (English is sort of my science), and right now I'm in the business of bubble preservation.  But it's getting so difficult.  And in my bubble blowing experience, which is extensive, once a half bubble is created, it's only a matter of a few short seconds until it pops. 
I certainly feel the tension on this surface where I've landed.  And resistance to the external forces that will obliterate my bubble can only last until, roughly, August 16th.  That's the date that school will either start or not start.  And because I only have a half bubble of protection now, and the sad and incredibly frustrating reality is becoming entirely too real, I'm experiencing an emotion that I haven't felt in a while:  Anger.

I'm mad that despite the BEST EFFORTS of some of my very good friends who have given up their ENTIRE summer to fight for bubble-dwellers like me, school still might not start on time.  I'm mad that the same people who hired me based on their faith in my ability as a teacher are now working so hard to portray me as a villain.  I'm mad that the school I love, a school that houses amazing teachers and works hard to produce amazing graduates, is getting such negative press AGAIN.  I'm mad that as a result of a ridiculous waiting game, quality teachers and staff members have slipped away to use their considerable talents at other schools.  I'm mad because even when we do get back to the business of education, there will still be so much frustration; A morale that's as banged up and bruised as ours takes a lot of effort to heal. 

I am not comfortable using the word "leader" to describe myself, and as the title of this blog implies, on most subjects I consider myself unqualified to give advice that exceeds the boundaries of good old-fashioned common sense.  But for over ten years now I've stepped in front of a classroom filled with tired, droopy-eyed teenagers on the first day of school.  Each year I work to engage them in the subject matter and prepare them for their future.  I teach a subject that many kids loathe, but as their leader I do my best to make their hard work worth their while.  Even if they hate reading Dickens' Great Expectations or despise the constraints of MLA format, my students know that I'm there for them, that I genuinely WANT to see them succeed, and that I'm proud of them when they do.  And, for the most part, this leadership technique is foolproof.  In my entire career as a teacher, I've given maybe four detentions and failed only students who decided to expend zero effort.  I foster an atmosphere based on mutual respect and positivity, and most of the students who pass through my English class succeed, and many of them actually like being there....Or at least they don't HATE it.  I've used my good old-fashioned common sense to recognize that people, no matter their age or station in life, generally succeed when they feel cared for and supported. And it is in that sort of environment that they are likely to exceed expectations as well. 

As Tina Fey would say, "I want to go to there." 

4 comments:

Stremmel said...

You summed up all of this nonsense very well. I will look in my storeroom and see if I have any bubble preservative.

Teresa said...

Oh Fifey.... First, I want to hug you ;) Second, I would give anything to put you in your bubble and keep you there. No one should make you feel this way. It's O.K. for someone to make me feel this way cuz I lost my bubble awhile ago, but how dare they mess with yours.

Tyler said...

You're awesome! Funny I was talking to some folks the other day that it's time I need to address the board re: the same "villain" stance "the board" has taken and promoted in the community. Someone asked me the other day, " does someone there really think any press is good press?...because you guys are in the paper every year for some negative bullshit no other school would choose to do." As we've discussed before there are teachers at our school that are some of the best and brightest stars in education. They have proven to be the light that guides and inspires so many of these young people to transform into the outstanding adults they will become. All while the "Dark Forces" conspire against us to cheapen our profession, burst our bubbles and extinguish our lights....I'm tired and getting more exhausted with this every day but I think I might have enough left to "rage against the dying of the light".. or bubbles:)

Anonymous said...

Well said Marie...well said. I have a strong suspicion your bubble preservation will continue. Your bubble is made of latex. Once He Whom Must Not Be Named and the other oblivious cronies convert to the main land of rational thinking, all of the awesome teachers of IB can go on doing what they do best. Teach. So... way to go teachers! I am glad to know you have gumption...gumption that your superiors should have! You are the foundation which houses the greatest of students. I will always stand in awe!

Love to you all,
The Old House Elf- Catherine